A preeminent center for research and education in chemistry.
- Key research includes drug discovery, green chemistry, cancer research, energy, and materials chemistry
- Ranked 12th best chemistry graduate program in the United States by US News and World Report.
- State-of-the-art mass spectrometry facilities, NMR facilities, X-ray crystallographic facilities, and a full-time scientific glassblower
- Nature Index ranks UT Austin chemistry number 18 in the world among academic institutions for publication of scientific research
- Home of Fun with Chemistry, an outreach program aimed at motivating K-12 students to develop a love for learning and exploration in the sciences.
The Department of Chemistry’s mission is to create new chemical knowledge while providing all of our students with an innovative and forward-looking scientific education grounded in the fundamentals of chemistry. The department and its graduates will provide the chemical solutions required to solve important problems facing society through research, scholarship, teaching and service, while providing students in other disciplines with the chemical education they require.
634 Undergraduate (Fall 2015)
217 Graduate (Fall 2015)
1 member of the National Academy of Sciences
7 Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award winners
1 fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences
1 winner of the National Medal of Technology and Innovation
1 winner of the Wolf Prize
1 winner of the National Medal of Science
1 winner of the Japan Prize
1 winner of the Faraday Medal