Button to scroll to the top of the page.

What degree options are available for undergraduates? 

A Chemistry major may pursue one of three options: a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree, a Bachelor of Science and Arts (BSA) degree, or a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree. A student may earn only one undergraduate degree in a particular field of study from the College of Natural Sciences (CNS). More degree details are available on the CNS website; degree checklists may be downloaded here

I have been asked what catalog I am following.  What does this mean and how can I find out what mine is? 

This is in reference to the UT Undergraduate Catalog that was in use when you entered the University. The catalog is good for two academic years.  Example: if a student entered UT in Fall 2013, he/she started under the 2012-2014 catalogs. If the student entered in Fall 2014, he/she started under the 2014-2016 catalogs.  A student’s academic advisor can discuss which catalog(s) he/she may be eligible for, and what impact it may have on the degree option the student is pursuing. .

Can I concentrate in a specific area of study?

The BS degree in Chemistry offers concentrations in specific areas that will better prepare students with unique interests.

The BS in Chemistry has three options:

  • I – Chemistry: intended to prepare students for professional careers as chemists
  • II – Computation: intended to prepare students for the workforce by giving them opportunities to develop hands-on computation skills
  • III – Teaching: intended to prepare students to enter the secondary-level teaching profession

The BSA degree is a cross-disciplinary degree for CNS students; particularly those interested in combining a core science experience with course work in the fine arts, liberal arts, communications, or business.  The BSA requires 15-18 hours of coursework devoted to earning a minor or a transcript-recognized certificate. 

All Chemistry degree checklists are available here.

Where should I go if I want to speak to someone about majoring in Chemistry? 

Current CNS majors may contact the Chemistry Student Services Office (BIO 404) to set up an appointment with an undergraduate advisor. Students who are not currently in the College of Natural Sciences are encouraged to attend an internal transfer information session. Details on the CNS internal transfer process are available here.

Do I need to see my advisor before I register for classes?

All Chemistry majors assigned to the Chemistry Undergraduate Advising Center will have advising bars that prevent them from registering until they have seen an advisor. A student may call 512-471-3097 or stop by the Chemistry Student Services Office in BIO 404 to set up an advising appointment.  Students are strongly encouraged to schedule appointments earlier in the semester to avoid the rush during the weeks before early registration.

Can I take a class pass/fail? 

An undergraduate cannot take a course on a pass/fail basis unless he/she is classified as a sophomore or higher.  If a student takes a course pass/fail, it can only count as elective hours towards a degree.  Courses taken pass/fail do not count towards GPA (unless an F is earned) and may not fulfill prerequisite requirements.

For the 2014-16 catalog, College of Natural Sciences BA students may only count 16 pass/fail hours toward their degree, and may only take two courses pass/fail per semester.  

For the 2014-16 catalog, College of Natural Sciences BSA and BS students may only count 6 pass/fail hours toward their degree, and may only take two courses pass/fail per semester.

A student should discuss his/her situation with an advisor before deciding to change the grading status of a class. 

Can I repeat a course? 

Students are not permitted to repeat a course for which they have already earned a C- or better. In addition, no student may enroll in the same Natural Sciences course more than twice without an appeal. 

If I repeat a course, will the old grade go away?

No. Both grades will remain on a student's transcript and both are averaged into the UT GPA.

Can I drop one class after the normal semester drop deadline?

Every student in the College of Natural Sciences is allowed a One-Time-Exception Q drop after the deadline. Visit CNS Adding and Dropping Classes

I’m interested in going to medical school. What classes are required for pre-med?

Students who are interested in any of the allied health professions (pharmacy, medical, dental, physical therapy, occupational therapy, veterinary, osteopathy, and optometry) or other related health professions programs are encouraged to make an appointment with the Health Professions Office to discuss prerequisites for these programs and to discuss their plans and goals.  Students interested in the College of Nursing should attend one of their scheduled internal transfer sessions.

What is UTeach Outreach?

UTeach Outreach is a service-learning course that allows undergraduates to teach hands-on science with a partner in a local 2nd-6th grade classroom.  Students may receive elective or science credit depending on their degree plans (students should consult their academic advisors).  There are two course options: CH 207K: Introductory Science Outreach in Elementary Schools, or CH 371K: Science Outreach in Elementary Schools.  More information about the program is available on the UTeach Outreach website.

Can I receive credit for undergraduate research?

Chemistry majors are strongly encouraged to participate in undergraduate research, especially if they are considering graduate school, as it provides practical lab experience under the guidance of a faculty member. Chemistry majors pursuing a BS degree can earn college credit to use towards upper-division Chemistry requirements (if approved by supervising faculty).  Students interested in earning research credit can contact the Chemistry Student Services Office (BIO 404) and/or set up an appointment with an undergraduate advisor. Additional resources can also be found on the CNS Undergraduate Research page.

Where do I go if my class is in WEL? In WCH?

WEL is Robert A. WELCH Hall, located at 24th and Speedway Streets, and home of the Department of Chemistry. WCH is the W.C. HOGG building, located between Welch Hall and the Main Building, and home to the College of Natural Sciences Dean’s Office. You can view both locations on the UT Campus Map.

How/When do I apply for graduation?

Students apply for graduation during their final semester at UT before the mid-semester deadline (same as the Q-drop deadline). The application is available on the CNS website, along with graduation ceremony details.

Students who have 12 credit hours or less remaining during the Summer can apply to walk in the May ceremony. Students should complete the Walk Application during the spring semester, and then complete the actual Graduation Application by the Summer application deadline. Students completing their UT degree requirements at another institution must apply to graduate In Absentia.

If a student has questions about the Graduation Application process, he/she should speak with an academic advisor.