Button to scroll to the top of the page.

Student Resources & University Support Services

Graduate students are the core of the department, making essential and valuable contributions in both research and teaching. The department and university are dedicated to supporting graduate students and their welfare.  The following resources are available to you to help address issues you encounter as you navigate your degree.  These services are available to student employees (Teaching Assistants and Graduate Research Assistants) as well as students supported on fellowship.

College of Natural Sciences Office of Graduate Education

Learn about resources available to graduate students through the College of Natural Sciences “Office of Graduate Education”. These resources include information about CNS leadership, career development and PhD career outcomes, specialized elective courses, CNS policies, outreach opportunities, the CNS Graduate Council, and CNS events calendars.

Behavior Concerns Advice Line (BCAL)

If your own stress levels or those of a roommate, classmate, or coworker are of concern to you, or if a student in your course is behaving uncharacteristically, for example by no longer attending class, turning in assignments, or responding to emails, consider contacting BCAL. Staff members are trained to assess these and similar situations. You may report your concerns by calling 512-232-5050 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) or by submitting an online form.

Depending on the situation, individuals may be referred to resources including but not limited to the Office of the Dean of Students/Student Emergency Services, Counseling & Mental Health Center, and the Employee Assistance Program. Confidentiality will be maintained as much as possible; however, the University may be required to release some information to appropriate parties.

Cases that present an immediate threat to self, others, or property represent urgent situations that should be reported directly to the University of Texas Police Department (UTPD) by calling 911.

Campus Climate Response Team (CCRT)

You should consider this resource if you are concerned that someone is creating a hostile or offensive classroom or campus environment, for example, by denigrating others because of race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression.  You may report your concerns online or by calling 512-471-5017 (8:00am-5:00pm, Monday-Friday).

Title IX – Sexual Misconduct Prevention

Title IX is concerned with incidents of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual misconduct, interpersonal (dating/domestic/family) violence, or stalking that involve UT Austin students, faculty or staff.  The University is committed to maintaining a safe and non-discriminatory environment.  So graduate students appointed in academic positions as Teaching Assistants or Graduate Research Assistants are deemed “responsible employees” under UT policies.

Every responsible employee is required to promptly report Title IX incidents that they experience or hear about if these incidents involve UT students, faculty or staff.  As “responsible employees”, graduate students may not offer or maintain confidentiality after learning of such incidents.  Responsible employees have the duty to report these privately to the Title IX Coordinator or a Deputy Title IX Coordinator using the contact information at http://titleix.utexas.edu/

Counseling & Mental Health Center (CMHC)

Counseling is a process that can help you identify more effective strategies to cope with difficult situations, to enhance your well-being, and to better achieve your academic and life goals.  To investigate whether talking to a trained counselor might benefit you, you can, depending on the situation, either call the CMHC Crisis Line at 512-471-2255 or use a free anonymous online assessment.

If one of your students is experiencing non-academic problems (e.g. illness or death in the family, physical or emotional health issues, etc.) you may wish to refer that person to a CARE counselor at CMHC.  Visit the CMHC website for details about their services.

CARE counselors provide a dedicated individual to each academic unit at UT.  Learn more about our CARE counselor for the College of Natural Sciences here.

University Health Services (UHS)

UHS offers high quality, broad scope medical care located right on campus.  All enrolled UT students are automatically eligible to use UHS.  Insurance is not required, but UHS accepts most health insurance plans, including the student plan (AHP) and the staff plan used by TAs/GRAs (Blue Cross/Blue Shield).  Log in to My UHS to schedule an appointment online, or call 512-471-4955 8:00am-5:00pm, Monday-Friday.

Services for Students with Disabilities

SSD determines eligibility and approves reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities at UT.  Visit the SSD website for information on how to register with SSD, guidelines for documentation, and information about accommodations and services.

Student Ombuds

Have you had a conflict with your professor or advisor?  Frustrated about a University policy that is impacting you? Consider visiting your Student Ombuds to talk over your situation and see what options are available to you. Read their FAQ and schedule an appointment by calling 512-471-3825.

Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)

FERPA prohibits the University from disclosing educational records or personally identifiable information from a student’s University records to any third party, including parents, without that student’s prior consent.  Know your rights and those of students that you teach.  UT staff and faculty (including Teaching Assistants) are required to take regular FERPA training.

Parental Accommodation for CNS Graduate Student Parents

The College of Natural Sciences offers various types of accommodations for full-time graduate students with growing families, designed for the different roles graduate students may fill during their academic career (academic, TA, GRA, and parental leave).  The Chemistry Department contact for students seeking parental accommodations is Dr. Eric Anslyn.  For details, please visit the CNS website.

College of Natural Sciences Career Services & Professional Development

It’s never too early to explore the resources at CNS Career Services in Painter (PAI) 5.03. Contact Dr. Po-Tsan Ku, grad student and postdoctoral career development specialist, for an appointment.  Services include individual coaching appointments, mock interviews, career fairs, grant application workshops and monthly career seminars.

Student Veteran Services

Student Veteran Services helps all students using federal and state veterans education benefits. Their advisers walk current and prospective students through the benefits application and certification process, provide veteran-centered academic support, career services, health care and wellness resources and support the ongoing success of veterans on campus.

UT Writing Center – Graduate Student Services

The University Writing Center offers free services designed specifically for graduate students, such as one-on-one consultations, group meetings and retreats. They offer support and resources at any stage of the writing process, and for multiple types of scientific writing, including grant proposals. Visit their website to learn more!