News and Highlights

From the Chemistry Department

Eberlin Receives Changing the Face of STEM (CTFS) Mentoring Grant

Assistant Professor Livia Eberlin is the recipient of a Changing the Face of STEM (CTFS) mentoring grant from the L'Oréal USA For Women in Science program. The program supports former L'Oréal USA For Women in Science (FWIS) fellows in their efforts to inspire the next generation of girls in STEM. In 2014, Eberln receiv...

Graeme Henkelman's 2017 Peter O’Donnell Distinguished Research Award Recognizes Innovative Battery Research

Source: The Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences (ICES)The Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences (ICES) Graeme Henkelman is a hidden asset in building better batteries--for cars, cell phones, and all manner of energy-saving devices. Henkelman, who leads the Center for Computational Molecular Sciences, and is a pr...

Krische Catalysis Research to Appear in Science

Professor Michael J. Krische and coworkers have developed a ruthenium catalyst that enables insertion of saturated C-H bonds of adjacent diol carbon atoms into C-C σ-bonds to form products of cycloaddition. These processes merge C-H and C-C bond activation, enabling convergent assembly of structural motifs evident in type II polyketides, broadening...

Chemists Create First Bicyclic Aromatic Compound

An international team of researchers including UT Austin chemist Jonathan Sessler has created the first compound that exhibits bicyclic aromaticity in its ground state. These types of compounds had been theorized decades ago but had remained elusive until now. The authors speculate that these compounds “may have a role to play in extending the fron...

Chemistry Library Moves Out for Welch Hall Renovation

Question:  How do you move a library collection of over 70,000 volumes?  Answer:  With lots of careful planning and lots of muscle power.  The Mallet Chemistry Library, founded by UT’s first chemistry professor and faculty chairman John Mallet in 1883, has occupied its current space in Welch Hall since a 1978 building expansion....